Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Dion will reinstate Court Challenges Program and Double Funding!

Now this is the kind of news I like to hear on the 25th anniversary of the Charter.

The charter is the very important to individuals like me. It made me equal to everyone and enshrined that right.

Without it I wouldn't be living the way I do and would have to had to pretend to be someone else and resort secret relationships in back alleys somewhere. I also would not have been able to marry my husband as I wouldn't have any rights anyway.

The Court Challenges Program is central to rights as it enables people to challenge the government even if you cannot afford to. Whose rights should depend on your own personal bank account? That's why the already old "new government" cut the program. They know no one can challenge the courts if they cannot pay the costs, so this is a way of stemming off any further rights and challenges to the government.

Given that the charter is such an important document, I wonder what the conservatives are doing to commemorate this grand occasion for all Canadians?

I would have thought some of them at least appreciated their religious rights. Recommend this Post