Wednesday, July 08, 2009

On Political vs "Touristic" Events

Brad Trost on Toronto Gay Pride funding:

"Canadian taxpayers, even non-social conservative ones, don't want their tax dollars to go to events that are polarizing or events that are more political than touristic in nature."

So no funding for events that are more political than touristic. Well touristic isn't a word as far as I know but I get the point.

Well this event seems to be political as well and it received $2,000,000. This isn't the first time that this "touristic" event was picketed either. If I didn't know better I'd say its getting as bad as the G8 summits.

Call me old fashioned but when an event is picketed it IS political and I don't recall any picketers at Toronto Pride...ever.

---

Toronto Pride's response to this funding issue Recommend this Post